Friday, November 22, 2013

Judge's Decision

Last week we began debate, and we watched the middle school debate banning boxing.  While the kids were still young and some of their arguments not very good, I think it was good to see how a parliamentary debate flows, how points of order work, how heckling works and the speak slow enough they are easy it is easy to take notes.  While I will expect your own debates to be well thought out and mature. I think we can gain some insight into the world of debate by watching these students learn the basic. One reason I have chosen middle school debaters over high school or college, is that debaters tend to talk incredibly fast.  I think while introducing and learning to take notes it is easier to go with a little bit slower speaker, than the more advanced.  However, I encourage you to watch some college and high school debates on Youtube, some are quite good and you can learn a lot about style, argument and how debate works. You all have opinions on the students did on the debate, now you will listen to the judge tell the students how she thinks they did on the debate.  I think she makes a few good points.  I also would like to hear your feedback on what you think not about the topic, that is simply your personal opinion.
Your blog this week will be:
1. Watch the judge's decision and comments.
2. I want you to compare what the judge has to say with what you think about their arguments, refutation, presentation etc.
3. Write your blog telling me what you think about how the students debated compared with what the judge said, use your ideas from number two and write them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment